Power Up: English for the Energy Transition. Be understood – be powerful
The Power Up: English for the Energy Transition course has been designed to empower students to use English effectively to support their studies and careers by enabling them to communicate effectively and apply specific terminology appropriately.
English is the voice of global communication, and being understood is vital to professional progression. Whether debating the impact of climate change, or conveying your concepts on energy transition, from lecture theatre to European industry, using the right language is essential.
This course will enable you to fluently and persuasively explore, discuss and convey ideas, from today’s sustainable power solutions to the untapped energy sources of the future, enabling you to realise your full potential.
- Equip participants with a comprehensive English vocabulary related to the energy transition
- Provide the tools to use this language appropriately and effectively in spoken and written communication across a broad range of contexts
Intended learning outcomes
At the end of this course you will have acquired:
- A solid basic vocabulary of terms for understanding and communicating energy transition topics in professional and private contexts
- Passive listening skills and reading comprehension, as well as active writing skills for participating in discussion forums or completing written tasks
- The ability to take an active role in business discussions, debates and meetings with colleagues and partners across Europe
Methodology and assessment
The course is a Professional massive open online course (MOOC). Professional MOOCs, are fee-based, high-quality online courses driven by inspiring professors and industry experts, which promote continuous life-long learning. The course can be taken from the participants’ usual study location.
The programme consists of six modules and mainly comprises video lectures which end with quizzes to test knowledge. Its quantifiable goal is the acquisition and use of 20 to 30 relevant vocabulary words per week. Watching the videos and successfully solving the quizzes is required for taking the final course exam, a thirty-question on-line multiple-choice test designed to assess the understanding of concepts rather than simple memorisation. The test covers all modules and all the major concepts discussed. Passing this exam is a prerequisite for receiving the course certificate of accomplishment.
This course is aimed at professionals and students with current knowledge of English who want to refresh their language skills and expand their vocabulary, particularly in topics connected to the energy transition.
It is especially suitable for professionals keen to progress their international energy career, as well as those who would like to refine their language skills before joining the ‘Energy English’ further education course at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), one of the organising institutions.
- Some previous knowledge is required: English level at A2/B1 or above according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)
- Although not strictly necessary, prior knowledge of the energy business is helpful
A Certificate of Accomplishment is issued by InnoEnergy to all who complete the course and pass the final examination.
InnoEnergy in collaboration with the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) and the institute’s Center for Technology-Enhanced Learning (ZML), recognised for its leading technology-based teaching and learning solutions across a wide range of educational contexts.
How to apply
For your chance to benefit from this specialist insight, sign up for the course.
|Module 1: Welcome and Introduction||
|Module 2: Renewable Energy||
|Module 3: Transmission and Distribution||
|Module 4: Storage||
|Module 5: Efficiency and Usage||
|Module 6: Future of Energy||