Go Solar PV: Explore the potential of solar photovoltaics
Join us! Choose your registration method below:
About the course
Harnessing the sun to power our world has been the dream of energy professionals for decades. And now, with solar photovoltaic technology becoming more and more affordable, scalable and accessible, that dream is closer to reality than ever before.
To take advantage of recent breakthroughs and develop transformational models that will determine the future of the energy value chain, the industry needs more professionals with a thorough understanding of solar PV’s technical challenges and business opportunities.
Go Solar PV! looks at solar PV in depth, examining its potential for today and the near future, exploring the technical issues, and assessing the commercial opportunities. It offers a practical approach that gives learners an unparalleled insight into the global solar PV market, equipping them with the knowledge and practical details to shape and lead the future of solar energy.
Your strategic objectives
The aim of the Go Solar PV! Course is to equip you with:
- A vision of the drivers that influence the solar PV business around the world.
- An understanding of the challenges associated with developing solar PV, the likely evolution of the market evolution and the business opportunities.
- Knowledge gained from assessment of real-life development business cases for solar PV.
What will you learn?
On completing the Go Solar PV! Course, you will:
- Be able to analyse concrete business cases that represent current and future markets
- Understand the market dynamics, the main regulatory models and their evolution, including: support systems, market and grid integration, and national and international legislation.
- Understand the main trends in solar PV technology and their future potential in terms of costs.
- Be aware of potential financial models for the development of solar PV deployments.
- Understand the mechanics of solar PV installation, development, operation and maintenance.
“Renewable energies are the big players in the future of utilities. Although I'm working in a more business-orientated unit within my company I definitely need to know the products I have to deal with. This has been a perfect course to do so.”
Energy industry professional
How will you learn?
Go Solar PV! is an innovative professional course led by inspirational professors and industry experts. Our methodological proposal combines two options:
- Free (starts 27 November 2017) : access to all theoretical content offered through FutureLearn platform and
- Premium (starts 4 December 2017): development of four business cases that cover relevant industry topics on this iSE platform.
Business cases, videos, lectures, discussions, a series of tools, simulators, reports and other resources will be made available to support learners to get their winning combination.
Is this course for you?
This course is designed for professionals who:
- Are interested in developing their knowledge of solar PV technology and its commercial potential.
- Are keen to gain a greater understanding of the exciting opportunities presented by the solar PV sector.
- Wish to increase their knowledge to underpin future professional advancement.
Want to take part?
To participate in the Go Solar PV! course, you will need:
- Proficiency in written and spoken English or Spanish
- Basic mathematics knowledge
- Internet access
This course has a medium level of difficulty, however all levels of ability are supported with materials including a PV introductory module and resources for all levels. Although a basic knowledge of the energy sector is an advantage, no technical or specific knowledge is required.
On successful completion of all the mandatory elements (market with an asterisk *) of the Go Solar PV! course you will receive a certificate of attendance from InnoEnergy and Enerclub. The certificate has a unique URL, so you can share your achievements on your LinkedIn profile or your CV (résumé).
InnoEnergy in collaboration with Enerclub (Club Español de la Energía).
Go Solar PV! An overview
This four-week course will equip you with theoretical and practical knowledge of the PV market and technology principles. Using business cases, tools and supporting resources, all backed up with our tutors’ expertise and experience, you will work individually and collaboratively in order to gain the knowledge to enable you to:
- Understand the drivers influencing the PV business around the world and to understand the associated challenges.
- Anticipate the changing market and identify business opportunities within it.
- Analyse all the steps necessary to carry out the development of a PV project of any type.
The business cases in iSE.innoenergy
Business case 1 (BC1)
As the facility manager of a school, you must analyse features, risks and costs to decide whether BIPV would be the right new roofing choice. You will be guided through the case and will need to summarise your arguments and findings for peer evaluation.
Business case 2 (BC2)
In your role as a government advisor, you must determine the best form of governance for new energies by designing a regulatory framework for the electricity system, focusing on a self-consumption PV installation, and taking into account the evolution, costs and performance of distributed generation technologies.
Business case 3 (BC3)
A central American company (CEISA) is seeking to partner with a solar energy provider (GECASA) to increase its use of renewable energy. Working with technical manager, Arturo García, your role is to develop the required power purchase agreement (PPA) contract and permits to make the project a success.
Business case 4 (BC4)
Having helped to successfully secure the CEISA PPA contract for GECASA (see business case 3), you will be working with Arturo García once more to undertake due diligence relating to a new at of government that makes it mandatory for consumers to purchase 25 per cent of their electricity from renewable sources.
Theoretical content in FutureLearn
The PV basics
The course begins with the fundamentals of PV, exploring basic technical concepts and working principles such as plant layout and grid connection. This module also examines data, markets, economics, global growth forecasts and the future potential of PV and building-integrated PV (BIPV).
PV technology highlights
This module reviews the general themes, such as trends revolutionising the field of PV technology, PV market evolution, and standard PV plant layout, as well as more specific aspects of PV, such as the internal architecture of a solar cell and current-voltage curve.
This module will help you to understand the main regulatory schemes in use in the field of solar energy around the world during the last decade, and their main characteristics and differences. You will also learn what constitutes good practice, the risks and costs associated with implementation and optimum conditions for success.
Costs, risks and financing
You will learn about the main aspects of financing for PV systems, and how this differs depending on multiple parameters, such as the market segment, the nature of the PV system, the owner, the nature of the investor and the nature of the risks associated to the project.
PV project development
This module reviews the many factors to be taken into account for large-scale PV project development, including legislation, financing, plant design, operational issues and administration, navigating the elements in order to plan for success.
PV plant construction
Walk through the construction process of a PV power plant, reviewing the principal phases and understanding the impact of geographical location and its effect on regulations and conditions of execution. You will review the main activities that need to be considered in order to commission and operate the plant.
PV operation and maintenance
This module will enable you to understand the elements that must be considered when designing a system performance, operation and maintenance plan. This includes: establishing basic objectives and costing for both preventive and corrective maintenance measures in order to maintain productivity.
Course also promoted via Kursfinder.de