You are here
Energy System Transformation
Energy System Transformation
Driving the transition from centralised to local power systems.
We are at a tipping point. Globally the focus is shifting from centralised large-scale power production to local renewable energy generation, storage and consumption. Staying up to speed with how this fundamental transformation will impact the entire energy value chain means looking at energy sources themselves and exploring new and emerging business models and technologies.
This online course exposes you to leading-edge thinking on the transformation of local energy systems, consumer demand management, user interaction, behind-the-meter activities and the possibilities of new business models to diversify businesses. Designed and delivered by InnoEnergy, one of Europe’s leading authorities in renewable energy, the course empowers you with:
- An overview of the transformation from centralised to local energy systems
- Solid insight into current developments and future innovation in energy transition
- A thorough understanding of the trends and opportunities in energy transformation
- Mastery of legislative developments, likely future challenges and market evolution
- The ability to spot new opportunities, understand market dynamics and anticipate future challenges
- The capacity to apply this knowledge effectively in a professional environment
- A professional certificate upon successful completion of the course.
What will you learn?
Energy System Transformation is a short, online course that gives you in-depth understanding of the implications and how you can contribute to the transformation of the energy system, from centralised, large-scale power production to local generation and storage and flexible consumption. Specifically you will explore:
- Current and future energy systems, the crucial role of consumers and prosumers in the new energy system, and the importance of increasing their understanding and involvement
- The integration of local energy sources in the energy system and how local systems can be coupled to upstream grid markets
- How the growth of renewables has pushed the energy system to shift from a central system to a combination of decentralised energy sources
- Electric power infrastructure, grid stability and the concept of flexibility assets
- The digitalisation of the energy sector
- How Blockchain technology supports the transition from a centralised energy market design to a more decentralised peer-to-peer energy trading market
- Key business aspects of the energy system transformation.
How will you learn?
Energy System Transformation is delivered entirely online, driven by inspiring professors and industry experts and can be taken anywhere as long as you have an internet connection. The course is self-paced. Each module includes reading materials, and some feature business examples and an interactive game to illustrate the content. The assessment is based on multiple-choice tests after every lecture and the active participation of learners.
- Week 1: Introduction to energy system transformation
- Week 2: Integration of local energy sources and coupling to upstream grid markets
- Week 3: Energy digitalisation
- Week 4: Blockchain in the energy sector
- Week 5: Investment scenarios, business models and relevant policy frameworks
Who will teach you?
A research fellow at Jacques Delors Institute, working on the European energy policy. Main fields of interest are energy policy, climate policy and European defence policy.
Co-founder and COO of Watt-is, has a strong background in entrepreneurship and management. He also has strong technical and research competences in energy systems, modelling and consumption behaviour.
Associate Professor in Network and Systems Engineering at KTH Royal Institute of Technology and co-founder of foreseeti, with strong competences in cybersecurity, threat modelling and IT architecture.
Director and co-founder of the Becquerel Institute. He is the Operating Agent of Task 1 of the IEA PV programme, vice-chairman of the European PV technology Platform and manages the strategy and content of SolarUNITED.
CEO and co-founder of Grid Singularity has extensive experience in the energy sector and acute interest in distributed business models. He also serves as the Vice President of the Energy Web Foundation.
Head of Marketing and Communications at Grid Singularity and Team Member at EWF, has strong competences on decentralised solutions for (rural) energy generation and blockchain for the energy sector.
The Product Director at Foreseeti. Erik has a master’s degree in Computer Science with a specialisation in IT-Management and Enterprise Architecture from KTH Royal Institute of Technology.
An Assistant Professor at Technical University of Denmark, Department of Electrical Engineering. He has expertise on demand side management in distribution networks, and control systems architecture.
Professor of Industrial Energy Policy at Chalmers University of Technology, with several years of experience from the energy sector, serves as chairman/advisor of several companies and organisations (Europe/Asia).
Senior Consultant at Sweco’s Energy Markets group, has extensive experience of the Nordic electricity market. Areas of expertise include energy statistics, market design, regulation and renewable energy issues.
Works on strategic initiatives to strengthen the implication of industry in InnoEnergy. She leads Societal Appropriation, a people-centered approach to engage consumers and citizens in the energy transition.
Is it right for you?
This course has been designed for professionals and postgraduate academics with energy, business, financial, economic and engineering backgrounds, but anyone interested in developing their knowledge of energy transformation and enhancing their professional development (from policy makers to management consultants) might find it useful. Typically participants are:
- Energy consultant
- Energy engineer
- Energy strategist
- Energy system analyst
- Business analyst
- Management consultant
Since you're here, you may also be interested in some of our related courses, delivered online by a multi-disciplinary team of InnoEnergy experts from academia and industry, whose research and global business acuity give you full-picture understanding of the energy ecosystem today. And tomorrow.
- Energy Storage: the Battery Revolution
- Energy Systems Integration: a thorough understanding
- Energy Systems Integration: Policy and Regulation
- Energy Systems Integration: The Future of Transport
- Energy Systems Integration: Evolution in Electricity Grids
- Energy Systems Integration: Understanding the New Consumer