You are here
EU Clean Energy Package
About this course
The EU Clean Energy Package sets ambitious targets intended to make the EU energy sector more sustainable and competitive by 2030. As well as encouraging innovative technologies and seeking significant reductions in emissions, the package also paves the way for consumers to produce, use and trade their own clean energy. The Package has the potential to stimulate significant investment in the clean energy sector, with a corresponding increase in professional opportunities. This course, which can be taken on three levels, will equip you to navigate the new legislation, identify the challenges and benefits, and anticipate its impact on future strategy. You will gain understanding of the commercial and legal implications of the Package, and explore the effects of this on your career, organisation and the European community in conjunction with other participants and with the support of subject experts.
Is this course for you?
The course focuses on the Electricity Directive and the Electricity Regulation legal texts contained within the package. The course can be taken at three different levels: Investigator, Advocate or Master (see the Accreditation section for more information).
How does the course boost your career?
At the end of this course you will:
- Have a thorough understanding of the content of the package in a broader (historical, economic, legal) context.
- Have explored key issues such as capacity mechanisms, bidding zones, and harmonisation of network tariffs.
- Be able to follow the current discussion on the EU Clean Energy Package and intervene at European level.
- Understand the links with your work, and be able to anticipate and articulate future obstacles/benefits for your organisation.
Teaching methods and materials
The course is a Professional massive open online course (MOOC). Professional MOOCs, are fee-based, high-quality online courses driven by inspiring professors and industry experts, which promote continuous life-long learning.
The course can be taken from the participants’ usual study location. This five week course is composed of reading materials, video content, and interactive and communicative online activities. Each week will have a comprehensive class with live interaction between participants and instructors. After three one-week modules, and a buffer week to complete all project activities, the course culminates in two live panels on the issues and topics raised by participants during the course with selected high-level guest experts.
The course can be taken at three different levels:
1) Investigator Learning goal: to learn to speak the language of network codes and to understand their content.
2) Advocate Investigator learning goal, plus discuss and debate the network codes with colleagues and field specialists.
3) Master Advocate learning goal, plus undertake a mastery challenge, analyse and attempt to solve/improve a European level real life case and receive feedback.